Turai ke Pakode- Turai or Gilki is a summer vegetable and mostly used to make mild spiced curries. It is very healthy and easy to digest vegetable . But due to its mild taste and soft texture many people avoid eating this healthy humble vegetable.
- 2 Sponge gourd / Turai /Gilki
- Enough Oil To Deep fry
For the batter
- 1.5 cup Gram flour / Besan
- 1/4 cup Rice Flour / Chawal Ka Atta
- salt to taste
- 1.5 tbsp Chili flakes /Kuti hui laal mirch
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder / Dhaniya Powder
- 2 Green chili/hari mirch chopped
- 1/4 cup Fresh Coriander / Cilantro / Hara Dhaniya Chopped
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- 1/2 tsp Carom Seeds / Ajwain
- 2 tsp Hot Oil
- Wash and make slices from the turai/ sponge gourd, no need to peel the gourd.
- If the sponge gourd/ turai is small then make slant cuts
- Take a big wide bowl and sieve together the gram flour and the rice flour.
- Add all the dry spices in the flour mixture and stir to mix.
- Now gradually add water and make a smooth medium thick batter.
- Whisk the batter well to make it smooth and lump free.
- Heat enough oil in a big deep and wide pan.
- Dip the sliced turai/ sponge gourd and coat well with the batter and then gently drop them in the hot oil.
- Let them cook from one side and then flip the sides.
- Let them cook from both the sides till golden and crisp in medium hot oil.
- Drain on a tissue to absorb all the extra fat.
- Sprinkle some chat masala and serve hot.
- Serve with ketchup, green chutney or any tangy dip of your choice