- ⅔ cup water
- ⅓ cup quinoa
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt or other coarse salt
- 1 clove garlic, crushed and peeled
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 cup rinsed no-salt-added canned chickpeas
- 1 medium carrot, shredded (1/2 cup)
- ½ avocado, diced
- 1 package of prewashed mixed greens, such as spring mix or baby kale-spinach blend (8 cups packed)
- Bring water to a boil in a small saucepan. Stir in quinoa. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until all the liquid is absorbed about 15 minutes. Use a fork to fluff and separate the grains; let cool for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, sprinkle salt over garlic on a cutting board. Mash the garlic with the side of a spoon until a paste forms. Scrape into a medium bowl. Whisk in lemon zest, lemon juice, oil, and pepper. Transfer 3 Tbsp. of the dressing to a small bowl and set aside.
- Add chickpeas, carrot, and avocado to the bowl with the remaining dressing; gently toss to combine. Let stand for 5 minutes to allow flavours to blend. Add the quinoa and gently toss to coat.
- Place greens in a large bowl and toss with the reserved 3 Tbsp. dressing. Divide the greens between 2 plates and top with the quinoa mixture.