This is an ideal dessert for Hindu fasting (vrat or upvas). Sweet potatoes, milk, and sugar are used to make this halwa/sheera. Cardamom and nutmeg powder are used to flavour it.
How To Make Sweet Potato Halwa?
1) Boil the sweet potato in a pressure cooker (5-6 whistles) or Instant pot (manual 15 minutes). When cool to touch, peel and mash using a potato masher.
2) Heat the ghee in a pan on medium heat. Once hot add mashed sweet potatoes.
3) Mix and cook with stirring constantly until it becomes thick and leaves the sides of the pan.
4) Now add milk.
5) Mix and cook with stirring constantly.
6) Cook until all the moisture evaporates and leaves the sides of the pan.
7) Then add sugar, cardamom and nutmeg.
8) Mix, as sugar melts, it becomes loose and runny again.
9) Cook until it becomes thick again.
10) Lastly, add sliced almonds.