18 April, 2021
Thai Curry Powder
Curry powder is easier to make than you think, and the taste is so much better than store-bought powders. Unless you’re lucky enough to find an organic blend, store-bought curry powder usually contains bulking ingredients as well as preservatives which you won’t find listed on the package. This recipe shows you how to make your own so you can be sure it’s fresh-tasting as well as healthy.
- 3 tablespoons coriander whole or ground
- 2 tablespoons cumin seed, whole or ground
- 1 tablespoon ground turmeric
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 to 3 teaspoons chili flakes (or cayenne pepper ), depending on how spicy you want it
- 1 teaspoon white pepper, whole or ground
- 3 bay leaves, lower stem removed
- 1 whole clove (or a pinch of ground)
Steps to Make It
If Using Whole Spices
Gather the above ingredients as shown in the below image
Place all of the ingredients in a dry frying pan over medium-high heat. Stir continuously for 1 minute, or until pan is very hot. Then reduce heat to medium and continue stirring 6 to 10 minutes. This will lightly toast the spices, leaving them even more fragrant and tasty.
Remove pan from heat and tip the spices into a bowl to cool. Meanwhile, prepare your grinder.
Place the toasted spices in the grinder and grind well to make your curry powder.