Dried dates and crunchy pistachios make this Moroccan Chickpea Salad recipe both sweet and savory!
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- Juice and zest of 1 small lemon
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, pressed
- 1/2 teaspoon honey*
- 1/4 teaspoon ras el hanout ( mixed Moroccan spices) recipe below
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 14.5 ounce cans chickpeas, drained, rinsed, and patted dry
- 1 small shallot, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped pistachios
- 2 tablespoons chopped roasted almonds
- 2 tablespoons golden raisins
- 6 dried pitted dates, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
- In the bottom of a large serving bowl, whisk together two tablespoons of the olive oil along with the lemon juice and zest, red wine vinegar, pressed garlic, honey, ras el hanout and salt.
- Heat the remaining two tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet set over medium-high heat. Once the oil is hot and shimmering, add half of the chickpeas and fry for 3 to 4 minutes, until lightly browned and crispy. Transfer the fried chickpeas to the serving bowl. Repeat with the remaining half of the chickpeas.
- Add the sliced shallot to the hot pan and fry for 2 to 3 minutes, until softened and slightly translucent. Transfer to the serving bowl along with the pistachio, almonds, raisins, and dates.
- Toss well and serve warm.
Ingredients – ras el hanout (spices)
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 2 teaspoons ground mace
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground anise seed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves