30 July, 2020
Gulab Jamun- sweet dishPosted in : Sweet/Dessert on by : Simmi Iyer
Gulab meaning rose and Jamun meaning berry makes for Gulab Jamun as a berry-sized ball dunken in rose flavoured sugar syrup. It can be served hot with vanilla ice-cream or just a stand-alone chilled dish. Every Indian household will relish a Gulan Jamun, there is no limit to having this sweet. Be it marriage, or just a normal sweet after lunch or dinner this sweet is the most eaten or preferred
Ingredients Of Gulab Jamun
- 100 Gram Khoya (firmly packed)
- 1 tbsp Refined flour or soojee
- 1/4 tsp Baking soda
- 2 cups Sugar
- 2 cups Water
- 2 tbsp Milk (mixed with a little water)
- 4 Green cardamoms (slightly crushed)
- Cube of bread
How to Make Gulab Jamun
- 1.With the heel of your palm or the base of a flat metal bowl, mash the khoya, so that no grains remain.
- 2.Mix in the flour and baking soda and knead into firm dough. You can use a food processor too.
- 3.The dough should be firm but pliable and should not feel dry. If it does feel dry, wet your hands and work the dough again.
- 4.Shape the dough into marble-sized balls (jamuns) that are smooth and creaseless. The shape can be round or oblong.
- 5.Heat ghee in the kadahi till a piece of dough tossed in comes up at once.
- 6.Lower heat and fry a cube of bread till light brown (this lowers the temperature of the ghee).
- 7.Lift out bread and add as many jamuns as will fit in, without one touching the other.
- 8.Keeping the heat low, fry these till a golden brown all over.
- 9.Drain the jamuns out of the ghee, and fry the next lot, increasing the heat for a few seconds and then lowering it again before adding the jamuns.
- 10.Keep the gulab jamuns aside till the syrup is ready.
- 11.Mix the sugar and water and place over low heat, stirring till the sugar dissolves. Make sure it does not boil.
- 12.Increase the heat once the sugar dissolves, and then bring mixture to a boil.
- 13.Add the milk and water mixture and continue boiling over high flame, without stirring.
- 14.Skim off any scum that collects on the sides of the pan.
- 15.Cook till syrup thickens a bit. A finger dipped in slightly cold syrup should form a coating on it for a few seconds.
- 16.Take syrup off stove and cool for a minimum of half an hour. Strain through a fine nylon sieve or muslin cloth.
- 17.Add cardamom and bring syrup to a boil again.
- 18.Add the fried gulab jamuns to it and put off the heat. Let jamuns soak for at least half an hour before serving.