Why do generally people go on a diet? They want to lose excessive fat and shape their bodies beautifully. Although people tend to think that a diet means cutting off quantity of food, this is not its only meaning. It should actually be considered as a healthy eating plan. Both understandings for a diet are true, depending on what eventually we want to achieve.
What to eat to lose only fat?
The fat your body loses, is a result of decreased daily calorie intake, increased physical activity and/or both. What we must be absolutely aware of is the definition of a calorie. Normally, 1g of carbohydrates gives the body about 4kcal, and 1g fat gives the body about 9kcal. At first sight, the decision seems too simple – decrease the fats intake in the daily food, or go on a diet with vegetables and fruits. But this is not exactly the decision you should be concentrating on. If you want to lose weight in a healthy and natural way, you should simply take the right combination of foods.
The easiest way to lose fat is to eat foods rich in fat and proteins. This might seem shocking the first time you hear it, but let’s face some facts, that would help you accept this theory easier. The main substances in our body are fats and proteins. If our body needs carbohydrates for any process, it transforms glycogen from fats and proteins. The main body energy sources are glycogen and fats. If our body contains too much energy that it cannot burn, it reserves it as fats. It does not reserve it as glycogen, just because the levels of the glycogen storage are too low – just for extreme situations.
What steps should we perform?
1. Decrease intake of carbohydrates in your daily foods. The carbs are generally devided into simple and complex. The simple ones are the sugars, which should be burned immediately as energy, otherwise they are the ones that are stored in the body in the form of fats. The complex carbs can even be of advantage for weight loss, moreover some of them would make your diet menu more diverse.
2. Increase fats and proteins in your daily eating plan – whole-milk products, meat, sub products and essential fats should be part of your daily menu, however you should pay attention to the overall calories intake per day. Your menu can contain 50-60% fats, 20-30% and 10-20% carbs as long as you are careful with the total calorie intake and remember you should decrease it generally if you want to lose weight.
What foods should we include in our daily diet menu?
1. Eat at least 3 times a day, choose smaller portions. Avoid eating much in the evenings. Let your last meal be at about 7 – 8PM.
2. Drink a lot of water and tea(without sugar or milk). Let the water be at least 2-3l per day. Avoid juice or drinks containing any sugars.
3. Choose foods, rich in protein, for every meal and combine these with vegetables, preferably the green ones.
4. If you feel hunger between the meals, choose yoghurt, vegetables, nuts.
5. Exclude from your menu all foods, that contain sugar, flour, margarine.
6. Exclude fried food, replace it with baked or stewed food.
List of appropriate foods
• All types of meat, fish, sea products. When preparing the products, don’t fry them, use other cooking techniques instead, such as stewing or baking.
• All milk products, such as yoghurt, cheese (avoid the ones that contain hydrogenised fats).
• Fats: butter, cream, olive oil. Avoid all the rest, such as refined oil, margarine etc. A very good option is to add cod-liver oil to your meals. Vegetables: preferably the green ones. Avoid potatoes, as they contain a lot of cellulose, beans, rise.